Customer Identity from SAP Customer Data Cloud (previously known as Registration-as-a-Service, or RaaS) is a CIAM solution (Customer Identity and Access Management) that enables you to connect with your website and app users, and engage with your customers. Customer Identity helps you gather critical information about your users, store that information securely and leverage it for an enhanced customer experience. Use Customer Identity as the pivot point for launching personalized marketing campaigns, providing customer service, and building a trust-based relationship with your users.
- Frictionless Registration: Website visitors register with ease as Customer Identity provides friendly registration screens which require minimal input, offer logging in with social networks, and include predefined flows to ensure registration completion.
- Higher Registration Rates: A quick and easy process leads to higher registration rates as only minimal information is required from the user. However, the quality of user data is not compromised. Customer Identity continues to unobtrusively collect user data over time and as the user continues to interact with your site, by using progressive profiling. See also our Registration Conversion Best Practices guide.
- Meaningful Identities: Each registration transforms anonymous visitors into rich user profiles, complete with information such as age, gender, preferences and site behavior, stored in the Sap Customer Data Cloud secure database.
- Identity Life-Cycle: User data and behavior can be viewed, managed and analyzed in Identity Access, and synchronized to downstream applications (such as CRM, sales and service systems) using IdentitySync, our robust tool for data transfers.
- Easy to Manage: In the console, you can easily customize the user-facing elements, such as registration screens and confirmation emails: Change the appearance to match your branding, add predefined and custom data fields and define the available language options; all in the same place where you configure your site policies and manage admin permissions.
- Authentication Options: We offer many authentication options that may be utilized with Customer Identity, to accommodate a wide variety of business needs. These include Social Login, logging in with a federated identity using SAML or OIDC, Single Sign On across Global Sites, passwordless login via SMS, and more.
If you have an SAP logon, you can watch the following instructional videos about Customer Identity:
See it in Action
Integrating Customer Identity Screen-Sets into a page on your website or mobile app can be as simple as adding two lines of code. You simply add a script reference in the head section of you page with your API key and then add an event to a button which launches the login and registration flows.
View the code:
After you've integrated Customer Identity into your site, users are able to login or register. Upon registration, a user account is created in the SAP Customer Data Cloud secure database, which indexes information dynamically and flexibly - so no additional setup is required. The UI Builder , use of Markup Extensions , and Web SDK all contribute to the ease of setting up and customizing Customer Identity.
For an overview of the minimal implementation process, read the Customer Identity Quick Start Guide.
- Multitude of registration and login options, including social login, federated login using SAML or OpenID Connect, passwordless phone login, and push authentication, as well as an added security layer utilizing Risk Based Authentication
- Your customers experience consistent branding between different localized sites and apps using Global Access. Offer users a single sign-on across brand sites in a unified user base for a seamless experience while complying with various data residency requirements
- Flexible implementation: choose to use our Screen-Sets, or build your own flows, leveraging our API-first approach
- Built-in security to protect you and your users' data and privacy
- Variety of extensibility options, capturing login events ,sending Webhooks to downstream applications, or applying custom validations and data enrichment using Extensions
Registration and Login
Customer Identity offers many options for registering or logging in to sites:
- Registration: after a user signs up, an account is created in our dynamic database. Users can register through the out-of-the-box site registration flow, or log in with their social network accounts to further streamline the process. You can fine-tune and improve the quality of the data acquired by setting up conditional flows: after a user shares information about themselves (such as ownership of a pet) a separate flow can be triggered with questions about the type of animal, the pet's name and favorite treats. Registration screens are highly flexible and may include:
- Data input: Registration screens can include email subscriptions, number of children, name of pet or anything else.
- Validation: Built-in mechanisms which validate the quality of the data (e.g. date format, email format) and password strength.
- Security: Registration screens can include up-front security checks such as CAPTCHA verification, and two-factor authentication .
- Login: In addition to offering site users a site account login, Social Login, and SMS Login, Customer Identity offers advanced federated options such as SAML and OpenID Connect.
- Single Sign-On : in multi-site scenarios, Single Sign-On (SSO) is used to automatically log-in users to all sites that share the SSO after signing in to any one of them. SSO manages a single session for a user for all group sites, so when a user is logged in to one site, that user is logged in and gains immediate access to all other sites in that group, saving them the trouble of authenticating each child site individually and providing you as the site group manager with a 360 degree view of this consumer's profile and behavior on all your sites.
Smooth User-Facing Flows
Logging in or registering to your site are done in a minimal number of steps which cover all the main login scenarios, with built-in indicators for password strength and email confirmation, to minimize friction, eliminate frustration, and increase registration and conversion rates. In addition, users can log in with their social network accounts, an option that is proven to simplify the process and increases the number of users even further. Out-of-the box flows ensure that users are not threatened or discouraged at any stage by a tiresome loop or endless forms with mysterious requirements. The default flows are referred to as Screen-Sets: groups of user-facing screens which contain a logical flow. The design is responsive so that signing in can be performed easily from any device. Screen-Sets are supported in all standard browsers, and include native mobile support.
- Forgot password
- Profile update
- Lite registration
- Account linking (to prevent duplicate accounts in case a user logs in with a social account and also creates a site account in a separate registration session).
See Screen-Sets for a full description of the flows.
Example of a Login Process
- UI Builder: The registration process is based on preconfigured flows which display the relevant screen to the user. For example, a registration flow uses the registration screen set, where the first screen includes a "Forgot your password?" button which triggers an e-mail input screen. You can configure these screens using the UI Builder: a WYSIWYG canvas where you can easily edit fields, add new fields, and add plugins such as a CAPTCHA verification.
- CSS and Markup : A more advanced option is to edit the screen-set's CSS files, or the HTML and CSS markup.
- Policies : You can customize the policies for registering and logging in, according to your security and regulation standards. Examples for optional configurations:
- Verification and other emails - easily change the text and appearance of automatically generated emails within the registration and login flows.
- Required strength of password
- Two-factor authentication
- Conditional workflows: The UI Builder includes the option for displaying a different registration flow if a certain condition has been met, for example: adding a "Pet name" field if the user has indicated he or she owns a pet; or hiding or showing certain fields based on the user's age.
- Localization: Since all texts in the user-facing flows are editable, you can translate any flow easily. In addition, we support out-of-the-box error messages in multiple languages. Choose the message language by using the lang parameter of the Global Conf object.
The UI Builder
Know Your Users
Customer Identity includes several built-in elements for improving the quantity and quality of the user data collected.
- Dynamic account data structure: by their very nature, user databases should be dynamic and flexible, to accommodate new data fields and requirements. The dynamic schema can seamlessly process massive amounts of user data in an optimized way, and is capable of storing any custom data with no structural constraints. You don't have to know in advance how your custom data is going to look and it doesn't have to look the same for all objects. There is no need to go through schema creation or modification when the data structure changes.
- Progressive Profiling: Increasing registration rates requires that you keep registration and login forms as short as possible, with just the absolute minimum number of fields which demand the user's time and attention. However, after a user is registered and the initial trust hurdle overcome, it's easier to request additional information further down the line so as to collect the data you need. This is where Progressive Profiling comes in - allowing you to display to a logged-in user a request for additional information after a specified time period, or a certain event (such as navigation to a specified number of pages or clicking on a designated page of your site).
- Behavior Tracking : A dynamic user database makes it possible for you to glean highly detailed information about users' behavior on your site. Customer Identity allows you to track valuable information about user behavior, such as opt-ins, logins, engagement, and purchases, which can then be used for optimizing the core business flows of your site.
- Account linking : If an existing user logs in with a different identifier (e.g. email rather than social network), Customer Identity enables linking the accounts into a single unified account , associated with two identities (deduplication), rather than maintaining two separate accounts, thus improving the quality of the user data and preventing confusion and frustration on the user's part.
- IdentitySync ETL Service (Extract, Transform, Load): offers an easy, API-based way to transfer data in bulk between platforms, e.g. transfer user accounts from SAP Customer Data Cloud to a third-party platform or vice versa.
- Pre-Built Integrations with many of the prominent CMS, CRM, DMP and other systems provide you with an enriched, 360-degree view of the customer, ensuring data is always up to date, accurate and actionable. For CMS and e-commerce systems, SAP Customer Data Cloud offers GConnectors that sync user sessions and data in real time, for a smooth, personalized browsing experience online.
Administrators manage Customer Identity in the Customer Data Cloud Console. In addition to the features mentioned above, such as the UI Builder and Policies configuration, the console includes:
- Audit Log : All actions performed within the console are audited, as well as certain end-user actions (e.g., changing a password). Audited events are stored for one year from the date they occurred.
- Managing Console Permissions: Power users can control who has access to the console and which actions they can control, by assigning privilege groups on a per-site basis.
- Reports : Cross-platform analytics deliver interaction and traffic data, including details by platform and sharing type. Graphic reports are available in the Console under the Reports tab (you must be logged in to access this page). See Available Reports for descriptions of the various reports and how to use them. You can also query the database using the Identity Query tool with an SQL-like query. In addition, you can use APIs to access the data, and export to external systems such as sales or CRM.
- Customer Insights : Displays aggregated user data in a quickly readable visual format, highlighting trends and providing you with useful insights into your users' demographics, interests, social behavior, influence and revenue-generating activity.