This page is a step-by-step guide for the process of opening and setting up an external application in RenRen as part of the Gigya Setup process.
Customers should note that RenRen app approval takes a number of days. If your app is not approved within 10 days of submission, then contact your Implementation Consultant.
When using any 3rd Party Apps with Gigya, it is important to ensure that you Enable retrieving user contacts from the Permissions page of the Console prior to making your app live. This enables basic username and email retrieval for your users from providers that don't consider this an elevated permission.
Phase 1 - Opening an External Application in RenRen
- Login to your Renren account.
- Go to the following URL: http://dev.renren.com/app .
- To show your existing apps, click the right-hand link in the navigation bar.
- To create a new app, click the top right-most button (with the plus ( + ) symbol).
- Enter the app name, set the category (education, entertainment, game, tool) and sub-category, root domain, app description, short description and key words.
Enter an icon for your app.
Check the two boxes showing you accept the developer's agreement and license agreement.
Click the blue button.
- Select the second option on the left and then click the third plus sign.
- Enter your domain name (http://www.domainname.com) and then click the blue button to request that RenRen approve your app. Note that approval may take a day.
- If required, the third option in the next screen (User Management), allows you to add test users who can access your application while it is being set-up and awaiting approval.
- Enter operational contact information in the fourth option. The bottom boxes are company name, phone number, QQ (messenger) number, e-mail address.
- RenRen requires proof of domain ownership for the app's domain:
- Open myip.cn.
- Enter your domain name at the top of the page and press the Inquiry button on the right.
- Take a screenshot of the results generated. RenRen needs to see proof that you are the domain's registered owner. Your app will not go live until this has been provided (the example below shows some relevant information, however, if possible send a screenshot of the entire page).
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org,
In the mail, explain that you are sending proof of domain registration as part of your RenRen setup and that the screenshot is of http://www.myip.cn/<your-site.com> (for example ).
- You will additionally, need to fill out the following 4 areas of your application, by clicking on the corresponding links (see image). The items you need to complete are:
- Basic Personal Information
- Company License and Software License
- Payment Information (China based bank account or PayPal account).
- OAuth redirect URLs.
- If your site uses a Cname, check the box for the following section and enter your Cname in the field marked OAuth Authorize Callback URL.
- Once approved, you can find your app's API Key and secret by pressing the app's Name in the left-hand menu. You will need this information for the next phase.
Phase 2 - Configuring RenRen's Application Keys in Gigya's Website
- Go to the Dashboard section of Gigya's website.
Note: If you are not signed in to Gigya, please go to https://console.gigya.com/ and sign in.
- Press the "Site Settings" button that corresponds to the domain you wish to configure. You will be redirected to the "Site Settings" page.
- Navigate to the Provider Configurations page, and open the Renren Configuration popup by clicking on the corresponding icon.
- Paste your keys (the 'API Key' and the 'Secret Key' from phase 1) in the corresponding places:
- Click the "Save Settings" button (located at the lower right-hand corner of the page).
That's it, RenRen's configuration is complete! Please note that it might take up to 10 minutes for our system to become synchronized with RenRen.