Gigya’s integration with MailChimp enables easy and efficient integration of Gigya's rich, permission-based social and other profile info with MailChimp's marketing email personalization service, so as to accurately target users in your campaigns.
The integration synchronizes user data between Gigya and MailChimp on a recurring basis (daily) or ad-hoc, including:
- Creating and updating users in MailChimp based on information from Gigya.
- Updating user data in Gigya based on information from MailChimp.
- Integration is by transferring single value Gigya user account fields such as name, age, address or email. Field names are matched with corresponding fields on the target system. Gigya account fields which hold complex multi-value object data such as user photos' URLs or Facebook likes cannot be integrated using this method.
Integration with MailChimp is a premium service requiring activation. For more information, please contact your Gigya Account Manager or enter a support request on our site.
1. Get Your MailChimp API Key
To get your MailChimp API Key, under your profile name, select the Account menu. On your Account page, select Extras | API Keys
You can copy your API key from the section entitled Your API Keys.
2. Get Your List ID
To obtain the ListID, select Lists in the MailChimp menu, and then select the list you want to synchronize.
Under the list's Settings menu, select List name and defaults.
The List ID is displayed on the right of the List name and Campaign Defaults screen.
3. Define Merge Tags
In order to define field mappings in the Gigya configuration file, you need to provide merge tags that correspond to each MailChimp field you want to map. The Gigya fields are mapped to these merge tags in the configuration file.
To specify merge tags:
- Select your list.
- Under the Settings menu, select List fields and *|MERGE|* tags.
- In the List Fields and *|MERGE|* Tags screen, add the following merge tags:
- EMAIL for the email field (required for the integration with Gigya)
- UID for the Gigya UID field (required for the integration with Gigya)
Create additional merge tags for any other field that you want to synchronize.
Merge tags must be specified in upper case. MailChimp automatically converts all text entered into this field to upper case.
The integration with MailChimp is subject to the following limitations:
- String Length: Any string in MailChimp is limited to 255 characters.
- Integration: There are several limitations on the integration -
- Synchronization can only be carried out in one direction at a time - inbound (MailChimp to Gigya) or outbound (Gigya to MailChimp).
- In addition, if you are synchronizing several MailChimp lists, they must be synchronized one at a time. For example, if you want to synchronize users in two separate lists (say, List1 and List2), both inbound and outbound, you will need to do four separate synchronization runs.
- Complex Parameters: Since MailChimp strings are limited to 255 characters, complex Gigya fields (such as favorites and likes) are not supported for synchronization.
For inbound user synchronization, the integration with Gigya can only update data for users already existing in Gigya's database. New users are not created.
Manually Changing Lists in MailChimp
If you make any manual changes in, or delete a MailChimp list that is synchronized with Gigya, you need to notify your Gigya Implementation Consultant to modify the configuration file accordingly.